GET TO KNOW DUBLIN CASTLE, ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS MEDIEVAL CASTLES IN IRELAND
Dublin’s Dame Street is home to one of Ireland’s most famous medieval castles. Until 1922 it was the seat of the UK government administration in Ireland and is now an important Irish government complex. Learn more about Dublin Castle!
Currently, it has two museums, two cafes, a conference center, some government offices, rooms for members of the state and also beautiful gardens. Often visitors only want to rest on the grass or spend some time in the cafes, in a meantime of an important appointment, for example. However, for those who take the guided tour inside of Dublin Castle are delighted by the richness of the facilities and the fancy decorations.
Dublin Castle was once the royal residence of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, or Viceroy of Ireland, the representative of the British monarch in the territory. Hence the richness of the decoration inside.
READ MORE: 13 castles in Ireland for you to visit
St. Patrick’s Hall is the largest and also the most richly decorated room in all of Ireland. One of the oldest of the castle, its ceiling houses a work of Vincenzo Valdre, painted in 1778. There are three panels, representing the coronation of George III, Saint Patrick introducing Christianity in Ireland and King Henry II receiving the submission of Irish leaders.
The fire that struck Dublin Castle in 1941 completely destroyed the place. The environment was rebuilt with minor modifications, between 1964 and 1968, with furniture and other original pieces that were saved from the tragedy.
The Medieval Tower is one of the oldest, most intact and most important parts of Dublin. Dating from 1204-28, it was largely built during the reign of Henry III (1207-72), King of England and Lord of Ireland. Its walls are up to 4.8 meters thick.
Like all the first buildings of the Castle, it has had a variety of functions throughout the centuries. In its initial use as the King’s Wardrobe Tower, armor, clothing and the king’s treasure were stored there. The tower was later used to house prisoners, and in the seventeenth century it was renamed the Gunner’s Tower and probably served as the seat of Ireland’s leading gunner.
Finally, in 1811, it was converted to store treasures of a different kind, in the form of state documents and records. Old and very limited books and manuscripts, as well as the correspondence of viceroys and governments, were safely stored until 1989.
Visiting Dublin Castle is a return to the past and a direct connection to the history of Ireland. The castle is open from Monday to Sunday and holidays from 9:45 am until 5:45 pm. The ticket costs 1o euro for adults and 8 for students.
Find out more about the complex at http://www.dublincastle.ie/.