As a student, saving money it is one of the first things that comes to mind when you arrive in Ireland and then when someone asks you where have you been in Ireland or what places have you visited you just mention Dublin city centre, maybe Dublin castle (from outside) and the National museum is free. That is why we want to introduce you to The First Wednesday of the month and the Heritage Card.In Ireland, the first Wednesday of the month all the heritage places have free entry. You just need to arrive at the place and then the receptionist will book your place to do the tour.
By clicking this link, you can find out which places you can visit:
As you may realise, there are a lot of places that you need to visit and one Wednesday per month it is not enough, so you can also buy the Heritage Card. This card provides free admission to all fee-paying State managed OPW Heritage Sites located throughout the country for one year from the date of first use.
The normal price for this card is €40 but for students is just €10
Here is the place of the sites where you can buy this card:
- Rathfarnham Castle: Rathfarnham Road, Dublin 14
- Dublin Castle: Dame St, Dublin 2
- Phoenix Park Visitor Centre: Phoenix Park, Dublin 8
- National Botanic Gardens: Glasnevin, Dublin 9
- Pearse Museum: St. Enda’s Park Grange Road, Rathfarnham, Co Dublin
- Kilmainham Gaol: Inchicore Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8
Look at some of the pictures of these places:
Castletown House and Parklands
Rock of Cashel
Connemara National Park