Working while you are studying; Immigration Rules.

 In Blog

Some of the frequently asked questions before coming to Ireland are related to work: As a student do I have permission to work? How many hours can I work? Is it possible to work full time during holidays? How much is the minimum per hour?  In this post we share with you all the answers according to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services.

As part of a package of reforms of the regulatory regime for international education, announced in September 2014 by the Ministers for Education & Skills and Justice and Equality, some changes have been made to the terms of the concession under which non-EEA students (holding Immigration Stamp 2) are permitted to work.

Non-EEA students who are permitted to reside in the State on a stamp 2 immigration permission are allowed to avail of a work concession.  Under this concession a student may work in Ireland  in a casual part-time capacity without a work permit.

From 1 September 2016 students holding a valid  immigration stamp 2 permission will be permitted work 40 hours per week only during the months of June, July, August and September and from 15 December to 15 January inclusive.  At all other times students holding Immigration permission Stamp 2 will be limited to working 20 hours per week.

It should be noted also that the hours specified are the maximum that a student can work in any given week and not an average over time.  A student who is working for more than one employer remains subject to the overall limits (e.g. during the period when the 20 hour limit applies a student could not work 15 hours each for 2 employers).  The permission to work ceases on the expiry of the students Stamp 2 immigration permission

Note to students: Students who contravene these employment rules may have their student permission revoked.

Restricted Activities

Students are not permitted to work as taxi drivers either as employees or in their own right as holders of a taxi licence in their own name.

Students may not engage in self employment.

For more information:

National minimum wage

Since 1 January 2017, under SI 516/2016, the national minimum wage for an experienced adult employee is €9.25 per hour. An experienced adult employee for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act is an employee who has an employment of any kind in any 2 years over the age of 18 – see also ‘Rates’ section below. You can read this list of frequently asked questions on the national minimum wage.

However, the national minimum wage (NMW) does not stop an employer from offering a higher wage.

New rate in 2018: With effect from 1 January 2018, under SI 440/2017 (pdf), the national minimum wage for an experienced adult employee will be €9.55 per hour.

Are you looking for more info? Send us an email to [email protected] 

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search